Known among locals as 'Casa da Luz', the Museu da Eletricidade of Funchal houses exhibitions on the evolution of the electricity grid in the region. It's a great way to travel through the archipelago's History, and beyond.
It is installed on the site where the Funchal Power Station once operated. Inaugurated in 1897, it was owned at the time by the first concessionaire of electricity in Madeira, the 'Madeira Electric Lighting Company Limited'. After the creation of the Municipal Services of Electricity in 1949, the Power Station was shut down in 1989. It has since housed the collection of the Museu da Eletricidade of Funchal, consisting of rare models of old machines and appliances, among others.
There are several exhibition areas: one dedicated to the 'Lights of Funchal', with the different types of lighting used in the city throughout History; one with the topic 'A Century of Electricity', an evolutionary history of electrification in the archipelago; also the 'Energy Sources' exhibition, which focuses on issues such as renewable energy sources with an eye to the future.
In addition to cutting-edge interactive resources, the Museu da Eletricidade of Funchal has a temporary exhibition area, a documentation centre, an auditorium, gift shop and cafeteria.
The Museu da Eletricidade of Funchal, known as 'Casa da Luz', houses exhibits dedicated to the History of the electricity grid in the Autonomous Region of Madeira, featuring rare models of machinery.
Lift; access ramps and adapted bathrooms.