Dating back to the late 15th century, the Convent of Santa Clara is an outstanding monument in the historical heritage that enriches the city of Funchal. Having originally belonged to a cloistered religious order, it is now open to visitors.
Located on Calçada de Santa Clara, this building was erected between 1489 and 1496 by order of the second captain-donee of Funchal, João Gonçalves da Câmara. At the time, the purpose of the construction of these facilities was to house the daughters of the local nobility.
The group of buildings that make up the Convent of Santa Clara, in Funchal, is of great architectural and artistic value. On its walls, it displays Hispano-Arabic tiles dating from the 17th century. In turn, the ceilings are worked in wood. These facilities also house a collection of restored 17th- and 18th-century canvases.
When visiting the Convent of Santa Clara, it is possible to get to know the atrium, the São Gonçalo de Amarante Chapel, thought to have been built in the 16th century, the porch giving access to the choirs and the Gothic cloister, the Coro de Baixo and the Coro de Cima. Finally, take some time to visit the Santa Clara Church, commissioned by João Gonçalves Zarco, the discoverer of the island.
The Convent of Santa Clara, in Funchal, was built at the end of the 15th century. This group of religious buildings has considerable heritage value, both in its historical and artistic aspects.